What can our APP provide?
We believe that small scale farmers are the answers to sustainability and food security. To assure regional food supplies and promote dietary diversity. Currently, the small scale farmers all over the world are facing some common problems:
1. Not having sufficient knowledge about what’s happening on the field, this includes diagnosing crop disease, pest, plant nutrition and soil health.
2. Not having proper materials at the right time, including fertilizer, plant protection products, handtools, bags to ship or store the harvest, components for the irrigation system…etc
3. There is a big drawback for small scale farmers when a natural disaster occurs, for example hurricane. The voice of the small scale farmers are usually neglected, especially farmers in remote area, a photo tells more than a thousand words, they need a platform to gather photos and to proof losses to the authorities and open for public attention.
We decided to develop an APP because we believe that the use of smart phones will eventually become universal, and it's important to collect and integrate the data related to local farming according to the challenges and necessities the farmers have. It is important to collect these data now, and develop a resource input community to tackle the more and more frequent climate strikes, which small scale farmers are always more vulnerable to. Eventually we also wish to provide a platform for the public to take notice of the status of the fields most related to their region.
"Let it grow"---The APP for small scale farmers
“Let it grow” is an app designed to aid small scale farmers who on a day to day basis require support to address their problems relating to crops, fields, materials or supplies.
Currently there is no similar service in the app market, and the help small scale farmers usually get comes from government authorities and NGO organizations, but for many reasons such as location, and lack of time and resources, they may not be able to cover all of their needs in due time, especially in moments of natural disasters.
“Let it grow” tackles the challenge of reaching and supporting small scale farmers anytime, anywhere by connecting them via internet with other farmers and experts, even suppliers that can give support online from anywhere in the world, allowing for small scale farming to grow stronger, since we believe that it is the most viable option to assure regional food supplies and promote dietary diversity.
We hope by using this app we can help the farmers in three ways:
1. To solve the problems in their fields, by uploading the photos of the field or by narration describe the situation they are facing in the field, for example a disease, malnutrition of the crops, discoloring of the leaves etc. By uploading questions and photos, we can have local people diagnosing the problem for the farmer, these people can be merchandisers of the agricultural materials, specialist of agriculture or other farmers.
2. To help the small scale farmers is to gather information about the procurement of the materials, with gathering requests assorted by geographical distinction, farmers can negotiate a better price and have consolidate shipment, that can be of more benefit to farmers in remote areas.
3. Work as a report back system, when there is natural disaster like hurricane or flood, farmers can report back directly to authority to reflect the real situation happening in field, and to help the farmers receive support as soon as possible.
All these functions can be integrated into “farmers diary” in the APP, like a personal Instagram for the farmers, and can also help to.build product traceability.
Our business model is based on a free download app. Yet, the database obtained through the APP will be processed and statically analyzed in order to generate graphs, trends and facts sorted by region in collaboration with climate database allowing the forecast in the future potential outbreak or a certain disease or damage. This processed data can be purchased by users, authorities, NGOs…etc.