Transforming Agriculture using the metal silo. About 40% of Uganda agricultural produce is lost to post harvest losses(PHLs) with 50% of these due to poor or no storage facilities. Metal silos have been proven to reduce PHLs to about 1% and the team aims to increase their distribution in Uganda through local manufacturing which cuts the cost and use a rent to own model. Farmers will pay only 20% of the total cost initially and clear the remaining 80% in monthly installments over 11 months.
The team is made up of an agricultural engineer, entrepreneur, social scientist and lawyer. Our team aims at reducing Post Harvest Losses(PHLs) in Uganda using the metal silo. Agriculture supports over 60% of Uganda's economy yet a lot of its produce is lost to PHLs despite the introduction of the metal silo as a proven technology. We hope that through funding from this challenge we shall be able to pilot our idea (rent to own model) and increase the distribution of silos in Uganda